Get back into shape with the help of your iPhone
(Structure a workout plan- great apps for fitness at home)
We have heard time and time again that physical activity plays a crucial role in cancer prevention. But, studies are now finding that exercise is also directly linked to preventing cancer recurrence. Unfortunately, the prolonging effect of cancer treatment brings along fatigue, reduced physical activity, and a reduction in quality of life. Instead of adopting the attitude that you will never return to a “normal life”, take charge of your body and begin the process of armoring right back up. One study completed by bmj analyzed 48 outcomes reported from 34 randomized controlled trails in patients with cancer. The results? In patients who had completed cancer treatment physical activity is associated with:
- Reduced BMI, fatigue, and depression
- Increased oxygen consumption, distance walked, leg strength
- Higher quality of life in the physical function, social function, and mental health domains
Working out and staying on track has never been easier than it is today with all of the technology and innovations available.
There are a few things you need to keep in mind before you begin the process of regaining your strength and energy.
- Check with your doctor before engaging in any activity. Medicine received during treatment may limit what activity is safe for your body- each person is different so make sure to consult first.
- It’s a marathon not a sprint! Your body has just made it through the toughest fight there is. Don’t be set back when your energy is feeling low.
- It’s important to listen to your body, but it is equally important to listen to your mind. On days when it feels like you can barely get out of bed, have the power to tell your body that you can walk.
Amazing apps for getting back into the swing of things
- Yoga- the best low impact exercise around that can also help with mindfulness
- Yoga Studio: includes 60 ready-made classes and allows you to choose your level, duration, and focus to create the perfect routine for you. Also helps you stay on track with class scheduling
- Walking- any exercise is better than no exercise. Simply going on a morning walk for some peace & quiet or with a friend to catch up will help armor up your immune system
- Map My Fitness: this amazing app not only maps your route but also allows you to log your food and share your activity with friends- a simple way to get extra encouragement
- Training- once your body is ready to handle activity of higher intensity consider downloading an app that provides you with a personal trainer. Yes, most do have a fee but they all have free trials and still beat the price of the gym
- Sworkit: fitness plans created by personal trainers to help you meet your personal goals- whether it is leaner, fitter, or stronger
You have nothing to lose and everything to gain! Grab your phone and download some fitness apps right now.