- 1 – 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large white or yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic gloves, minced
- 2 scallions, sliced
- tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp. coriander
- 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 3 cups chickpeas
- 1/8 cup garbanzo bean flour, almond flour, or oat flour
- Heat oil in a sauté pan over medium heat, then add the chopped onion, garlic and sauté until soft.
- Add scallions, salt, pepper, cumin, coriander, and paprika and cook a few minutes more until fragrant and scallions are wilted. Remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl, mash chickpeas until broken down a bit, but still chunky (leave some whole).
- Add the cooked onion mixture to the chickpeas and mix thoroughly. Add the flour.
- Using a half-cup measure, form burger-sized shapes from the mixture and place on an oiled baking dish or cookie sheet.
- Spray tops of the burgers lightly with olive oil. Bake for approximately 30 minutes at 400 degrees.
Mexican flair: Add chopped cilantro, a chopped banana pepper, and minced jalapeño.
Italian flair: Leave out cumin, coriander and paprika, and substitute 1/4 tsp. each of dried basil, thyme, and oregano (or chopped fresh basil, thyme and oregano).